Our History

From Our Past

Grace Lutheran Church was founded in 1923 primarily to serve students at Winthrop University. The Grace congregation has called the gray stone church on Oakland Avenue its home since 1926.

The congregation has grown significantly over the past decade as the population of Rock Hill and York County has exploded. Grace's baptized membership now numbers almost 600. On an average Sunday 240 worshipers attend our two services and about 100 participate in Sunday School. A diverse offering of mid-week classes is also available at Grace.

The Reverend Cristine Stoxen now serves as the 13th pastor to serve Grace in its 90 years.

In addition to a full range of music and youth activities under the direction of professional staff, Grace is actively involved in community service activities in the greater Rock Hill area.

Grace enjoys a 32,000-square-foot church building. Worship of our risen Lord in our beautiful sanctuary is the foundation of Grace Church. The church's original sanctuary, seating 230 people, was enhanced with new chancel arrangement and a magnificent pipe organ in 2002. At that time 14,000 square feet of new space, including a fellowship hall, was added to the existing building erected in 1926 and 1979. In 1989 property for increased parking was purchased and in 1998 the house behind the church on Aiken Avenue was given to the congregation. The "White House" currently serves as our campus ministry center. In 2013 the congregation purchased "A Place of Grace", an adjoining building that now houses a variety of local non-profit agencies.

As Grace celebrates 90 years of ministry on Oakland Avenue, the congregation is thankful for the vitality and commitment God has given us as we work to fulfill our mission to "live in faith, share the Gospel and serve in love". 

 

Our History PDF File

Click here to download or view the full Grace History PDF file.

 
 Site Map   Recent Updates   Contact Us   Suggestions or Problems?